How to find quick relief for Sore Throat?
- strained vocal coards,
- bacterial infections of the upper respiratory tract,
- candidiasis etc.
Just as we take a pill if we have a headache, when a sore throat strikes, we want immediate relief from it to carry on with our activities. Before rushing for the doctors office, the solution could be right at home, in the kitchen or in the medicine cabinet.
We find them in almost any medicine cabinet. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil or Aleve reduce the swelling responsible for the sore throat.
Aspirin and paracetamol are also commonly used in colds and pharyngitis. However, aspirin may cause stomach upset, even if taken with food.
Anti-inflammatory drugs alleviate other symptoms associated with colds and viral infections, such as fever.
Drops, sprays and lozenges
Only some cough drops provide immediate sore throat relief. The best are those that contain antiseptic agents and some numbing ingredient. Drops stimulate the saliva secretion thus keeping the throat moist. They further eliminate the swallowing difficulty caused by the local inflammation of the throat.
Over-the-counter sprays and lozenges have the advantage of dulling the pain temporarily. They will not cure a cold or any other underlying cause of the sore throat.
Lemon and honey
1) Mix the juice from one lemon with a spoon of honey. Add a cup of warm water and drink slowly.
2) The honey coats the throat and the lemon helps eliminate the mucus excess.
Garlic is a powerful antibacterial agent efficient against viruses, bacteria and fungi like Candida Albicans. Chew on a clove of garlic three times per day, and you will get immediate relief from sore throat.
1) Use warm saltwater to gargle several times a day. It helps with the inflammation and it reduces the swelling in the throat.
2) Add one teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water. Add a bit of honey to the mixture if the taste is too unpleasant.
3) Remember not to swallow the salty water.
Thyme is an excellent anti-bacterial and disinfecting agent. It works great for almost any upper respiratory tract infection as well as for candidiasis.
1) Add 10 drops of thyme oil to a teaspoon of honey and swallow it.
2) Use thyme tea for gargling 2 teaspoons of thyme (leaves and flowers) for a cup of hot water.
Cinnamon works as a powerful antibacterial agent, it stimulates the blood flow and it boosts up the immune function. Cinnamon can also be combined with ginger for an even more efficient remedy:
1 cup of almond/rice/coconut milk, teaspoon of cinnamon, teaspoon of powdered ginger and 1 spoon of honey. Heat the milk without boiling it, stir in the ginger powder and the cinnamon, and finally add the honey to sweeten it.
Eucalyptus is a very powerful remedy for sore throat.
1) You can gargle with eucalyptus tea made from the leaves.
2) Another remedy here would be to add 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to a teaspoon of honey and swallow it. Relief for the sore throat is immediate.
The active ingredient in peppermint is menthol. It has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. This makes peppermint an ideal remedy for sore throat. Peppermint essential oil alleviates sore throat most effectively.
- Mix 5 drops of peppermint oil to a teaspoon of honey.
1) See a doctor for correct diagnosis, and take the prescribed treatment according to recommendations. Natural cures do not substitute for conventional treatments.
2) Essential oils are more concentrated and powerful than teas. If you have experienced sensitivity to any essential oil, the remedies suggested above may cause adverse reactions.
3) Natural home remedies for sore throat do not interfere with drug treatments. They simply alleviate the symptoms temporarily, and increase the bodys capacity to fight.
Go Back to Health Care for more.
Edited by: Rajesh Bihani ( Find me on Google+ )