Why some Quit Smoking Aids do not work?
As you will see from the following lines, numerous quit smoking aids have made a name in popular cultures, without actually deserving their reputation. It's the case with nicotine replacement therapy, complementary therapies, electronic cigarettes, homeopathic supplements and more.
Such products (nicotine based aids) are available in the form of gums, lozenges, nasal sprays and skin patches. Patches, gum and sprays contain nicotine and they release it into the blood. Even without smoking, a certain amount of nicotine gets into the blood. That's why the withdrawal system don't settle in or are eliminated completely. Why is it that they sometimes fail?
1) These quit smoking aids contain nicotine, and they don't help break the addiction as such. You are still intoxicated with nicotine and addicted to it.
2) The nicotine-based aids only get you rid of the charcoal and the other chemicals in cigarettes.
3) Nicotine replacement doesn't work without cognitive-behavioral therapy because you need to break the psychological dimension of the habit. That's why a simple skin patch won't help you quit smoking!
Can hypnosis or acupuncture help?
Some smokers turn to hypnosis or acupuncture in order to quit smoking more quickly and “naturally”. According to hypnosis believers, these practices have no side effects, and can help to reduce the addiction of smoking significantly.
According to the American Cancer Society, hypnosis is not a reliable quit smoking aid. There is no evidence that hypnosis actually works. Experts warn smokers not to be deceived by quit smoking hypnosis scams.
33 studies on acupuncture (source:ncbi.nlm.nih.gov) as a stop-smoking aid have found no evidence that this practice helps quit smoking. Beware of other practices that resemble acupuncture such as:
- low laser therapy or cold laser therapy.
Gradual reduction of nicotine
Many smokers believe that they should first reduce the number of cigarettes they smoke a day until they are “ready” to quit completely. Yet, with nicotine in the system, you can't say that you've quit. Plus, the moment you feel under stress, the urge to smoke will increase, and you'll light up more frequently.
1) E-cigarettes contain a battery, a liquid cartridge and an atomizer (check at www.sparks-ecigs.co.uk )
2) They look like real cigarettes that light up when you puff.
3) The atomizer heats the liquid in the cartridge and the smoker inhales a nicotine vapor that mimics smoke.
4) The nicotine concentrations vary (Are E-cigarettes safe?)
Although promoted as quit smoking aids, they are of NO help.
1) Health providers agree that e-cigarettes can be really harmful for your health (source:theguardian.com ).
2) Rather than help quit smoking, these cigarette promote more smoking.
3) E-cigarettes often create new smokers. They appeal to young generations who love electronic devices, encouraging them to start smoking.
4) The nicotine substitutes and flavors used for e-cigarettes often contain cancer causing toxic substances such as diethylene glycol.
1) Although extensively advertised as quit smoking aids, homeopathic supplements don't have medical approval.
2) Numerous materials have been published against homeopathy, and its reliability. Moreover, lots of health care providers warn that homeopathic quit smoking aids remain a scam, as they are not more efficient than sugar and water.
3) It is not advisable to purchase quit smoking supplements from unknown online sources.
Factors that reduce the efficiency of quit smoking aids
The efficiency of quit smoking aids varies greatly depending on a number of subjective factors as well like as below:
1) individual uniqueness;
2) inconsistent or incorrect use of the quit smoking aid;
3) interferences with other drug treatments or herbal supplements;
4) personal motivation to quit smoking;
5) stress management;
6) psychological support;
7) lifestyle conditions.
All of these issues may prevent you from quitting smoking efficiently. In specialists' opinion the best chance to quit ‘smoking for good’ is to join a smoking cessation program, in order to benefit from professional assistance and guidance.
Written By: Catalina Cimpoeru, Sibiu, Romania
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking-Book on Amazon: Over Nine Million Copies Sold Worldwide. A Review on Amazon: It helped my soon to quit smoking overnight after reading this book. Earlier he tried several times before with the usual known gums, patches ecigarettes etc without any success. However since he read this book he has not smoked again and says he has no desire to do so! I would highly recommend this book to any one serious about giving up smoking.
Quit Smoking Today Without Gaining Weight (Book & CD): This book has been written by Britain's bestselling non-fiction author, Paul McKenna, having sold 3 million books in 3 years, and his TV shows and live appearances have been watched and attended by hundreds of millions of people in 42 countries around the world.
A complete guide to quitting smoking: From American Cancer Society
Go Back to Health care for more.
Edited by: Rajesh Bihani ( Find me on Google+ )